Dies ist die

Personal blog of Johannes Lippmann

October 30, 2020

Install NIXOS on raspberry pi 4

Given a raspberry pi 4 with an ethernet connection a micro-sd card a usb-keyboard … this is how to set up the RP with nixos so that you can ssh into it. We won't need to attach a screen to it. All we need beyond above is a computer with an internet connection that can write to the SD card (using dd).

July 30, 2020

Just play with the code

When I want to do something for fun, this is what I do: Plan it (find a date and time, ask people I want to participate) Prepare it (pack the necessary stuff, drive there, set up the table/workspace) Do it Clean up (drive home, put everything back, remove tmp-files) Now that I think about it, the workflow is pretty similar to what I do when I want to work on something not for fun.

May 9, 2020

Lies keine Oden, lies die Ausgangsbeschränkungen

Die Ausgangsbeschränkungen (wegen COVID-19) ändern sich ab und zu und haben dann sofort große Auswirkungen auf unser Leben. Deshalb sind dann Zeitungen und Radiosendungen voll mit Diskussionen und FAQs: “Was ist nun erlaubt, was nicht?” Das ist ja auch in Ordnung. Es wäre aber schon wichtig zu wissen, dass man auch die Verordnungen im Original lesen kann: https://www.stmgp.bayern.de/coronavirus/rechtsgrundlagen/ Am Ende gelten auch nicht die Regeln, die der Söder in der Pressekonferenz erzählt, sondern das was im Gesetz (oder in diesem Fall in der Verordnung) steht.

April 3, 2020

Sind alle Kreise gleich?

Das Verhältnis von Umfang und Fläche eines Kreises ändert sich mit der Größe des Kreises. Aber sind nicht alle Kreise gleich/kongruent? Sollte dann nicht auch das Verhältnis immer gleich sein? Bei Umfang zu Durchmesser ist es ja auch für alle Kreise gleich. Ein Freund kam neulich mit dieser Frage zu mir. Er hatte sie mehreren Leuten gestellt und alle konnten ihm die Formel für das Verhältnis herleiten. Aber Formeln anschauen ist nicht das gleiche wie verstehen.

March 8, 2020

First step to NixOS

Given my OS history (Windows -> macOS -> Fedora -> Arch Linux) these were the options I was interested in as a next one: Gentoo (but I have no interests in compiling everything myself) GNU Hurd (but I don’t think it is ready yet) Arch Linux (There was nothing bad about it except the installation process) Manjaro (because it is Arch with an installer) NixOS (because I like writing configurations) I decided on NixOS because I could see me using it for the next years (other then Gentoo and GNU Hurd) and it would give me the opportunity to learn something completely new (other then Arch and Manjaro that I used for a few years now).

December 15, 2019

Using Newsblur's API

Everybody should have a feedreader for RSS feeds. Lately I decided to subscribe to some feeds of local organisations (like the zoo, some local fablabs or the nearest police station). Things that take place nearby are more interesting after all. So yesterday I found that our city administration provides some RSS-feeds - many actually. They are all listed on this website. So I want to subscribe to all of them. I didn’t find an easy way to subscribe to many feeds at once through the Newsblur web interface, so I decided it was a good day to test out the Newsblur api.

October 9, 2019

Rescue data from a Mac that won't start anymore

My wifes macbook didn't start anymore, it tried but went into the same error again and again. This is how I got the data from the old hard drive. Get yourself a drive to rescue the files to (we will call it LIFEBOAT). Connect it to the mac. Enter Recovery mode by pressing CMD and R at startup. Get yourself a terminal (in the upper menu under "Utilities").